The Society of Gilders offers professional-level classes
On this page you will find:
- Upcoming regional class listings (scroll down!!)
- Class registration details
- Information about private and commissioned classes
The Basics of Verre Églomisé – An Online Workshop with Marybeth Ting
This video class covers the basic steps of reverse painting and gilding on glass by SOG instructor Marybeth Ting. In this comprehensive online workshop, you will learn the entire process from start to finish. As we explore the entire process, the workshop will be broken down into separate lessons to make the learning process more approachable and allow students to focus on key areas. Students will learn the preparation and tools required, how to prepare the size, how to apply genuine gold leaf, etching and reverse painting. Students will complete a provided design, and create a freehand original. Both beginners and students with some experience are welcome.
♦ ONE | Introduction • Tools & Materials
♦ TWO | Preparations • Gilder’s Liquor • Glass Marking
♦ THREE | Gilding Area • Gold Leaf • Etching
♦ FOUR| Reverse Painting • Backing Up Work
♦ FIVE | Project 1 – Symmetrical Pattern; Project 2 – Freehand etching
REQUIRED TOOLS AND MATERIALS
If you need to order any of these tools, please order two weeks before the workshop to guarantee their timely arrival. Our member companies below can sell you a kit with all of the above, at a discounted price, if you mention this class. Click here to download a printable list of tools and suppliers.
Other necessary supplies are household items, such as dish detergent and razor blades. Here is the complete list.
Registration opens March 31- May 30. Check back here.
Videos will be available June 4.
Early Bird Registration –
- Those who register between March 31-April 15 will pay $690 and receive a $25 discount on my future online class, Glass Gilding: Metal Leaf Series.
- After April 15, prices will go back to $750 OR three monthly installments of $275. (Stripe payments)
- Note: Members of the Society of Gilders will receive a special price on the class.
All class fees include a small administrative fee. This fee is higher for non-members. You must log in to receive the member discount. The price shown publicly is the non-member price.
- Check class details for registration deadlines.
- SOG classes will be canceled four weeks prior to the start of the class if the minimum number of students has not been met. In all cases, students will be contacted by e-mail regarding the status of the class. Cancellations by the teacher will result in a full refund. An $85.00 Cancellation fee will be charged for any cancellations made by the student before 28 days from the start of the class, and no refunds will be given for cancellations after 28 days from the start of class.
- Once a class begins, no refunds will be given. If days are missed due to illness, family emergencies, or other hardship, the student is allowed to make up the lost class time at a future class for no extra fees. Once the material/tool boxes are opened the student must pay for them.
- Deposits/Paying by check: If you would like to make a deposit of half the class fee to hold a space in the class, or if you would rather mail in your class registration, please select the “Invoice” option and download the resultant .pdf. Payment must be received 28 days prior to start of class.
- If a class is full, please contact us to be added to the waiting list.
PRIVATE AND COMMISSIONED CLASSES
If you are looking for a class that is not listed, and you have a sufficiently large group of students, it is often possible to arrange a class with a SOG teacher. Individual instruction may also be arranged. For more information, please contact the Education Chair: email@example.com.